Friday, May 25, 2012

Running the Race

Hebrews 12 :1- Therefore since we are surrounded by such a greg cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.


Ok, so I am a runner- well not a good runner, but I run. I have even run a few races.  Each race that I run is clearly marked by the people who designed it.  There are signs along the way that we see and individuals who guide, encourage, and assist the runners.  Everyone in the race has a clear direction that they are going the right way.  There are also other runners along side you who encourage, challenge, and guide you on your way.  There are many more people out of the race doing other things- like eating lunch, getting gas, or whatever they are doing.  

Last winter I was in a half- marathon.  Now I had only recently regained walking post my ankle surgery see these posts to read about my surgery and not being able to walk for 2 months.  Then after the bed rest, I had to spend another month in a boot- so I was not running much of this last 1/2 marathon.  But I completed it.  At the halfway point I was sooo hungry (forgetting to pack my own gels) and there were people eating lunch along the way.  If I had followed my temptation I would not have completed the race.  I would have stopped and eaten- letting my distractions get away from me.

When I started out, I was wearing a fleece- even though the race was in Phoenix, it was January and the morning when i left my in-laws' house it was in the 30's.  However, mid race the temps were twice that.  If I kept my fleece, it would have been bothersome and gotten in my way had I chosen to bring it-despite being a little uncomfortable with the cold in the beginning.  I was grateful later on that I had left it behind.

The point is that in life there are a million distractions.  Things that bring us away from God- some of them are good things, but in the wrong position in our life can cause dangerous consequences.  For example, social media can be a great tool.  However if we use that instead of cultivating relationships with those around us, we get caught up in the dangerous lure of that and it can ensnare us to not follow the race that God has set out for us.  He has clearly set out boundaries for each of us in our lives.  He creates in our lives a set of boundaries that we are supposed to follow.  There are others he places in our lives to encourage us and others are examples to us on where we are supposed to go.  We can't look off to the path of where God has set us to go or we will not finish our race.  If we don't get rid of distractions in our life we won't be able to focus on what it is that God wants for us.

It is so important that we find out where God is leading us in our race.  I know right now, for me, my race is primarily in raising my children.  As I type I have one of them laying in my bed with a fever.  Caring for this little person is the primary stretch of my race at this point in time.  Soon my kids will be grown and my race will take a different turn.  I encourage you to take a look at where your life is.  What stage it is in.  Find the focus that you need to have and cultivate that.  If you do not have children yet, maybe God is calling to help others who need it.  Maybe God is asking you to find a ministry and serve others (we are actually to serve others throughout our entire lives, the people are the only thing that changes), maybe God is asking you to spend your time teaching his word, or whatever it is.  Seek his markers for your race right now. And run it to the very best of your ability.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Indeed the only race that truly matters!

    http://fitcraftystylishandhappy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete