Saturday, July 31, 2010

Quiet Time

So I have to admit, I struggle with my own quiet time with the Lord. I let life get in the way and I allow myself to be distracted more than I should. I want to be better about it; I often try to do bible studies to get myself in the habit of reading and praying daily. I still struggle.

I hope that one day I can say that I am so in the habit that it became second nature. That probably won't be for some time. I have also find that there is no shame in reading the bible in the bathroom when you are a mother to small children especially. It is the rare time when I am alone and things are quiet. I also find that a lot of my prayer time happens in the car on the way to the grocery store or to the bank or church.

I am learning that quiet times with God depend on your stage of life. When I was younger, it was easier for me to take time and just be with God. I could take a hike to the top of a mountain and sit and pray with ease. Now I have 1 husband, three children, two dogs, a few friends, and church obligations that seem to demand so much of my time- especially since God has called our family to home-school- talk about no time for myself! But I am learning to adjust to this stage of my life. There are days that my hands barely touch the bible, except to pick it up out of a milk spill or save it from my toddler's crayons. There are days when I get two hours to sit and read (albeit very very rarely!). I am trying to give myself grace on this and remember that God understands the circumstances of my life. But also not letting myself off the hook. So I am finding the times when it is possible for me and God to have alone time- whenever or wherever that may be!

No comments:

Post a Comment